A healthy vibrant quinoa stuffing that can be a main vegetarian dish, a topping for a salad, or stuffing for roasted vegetables, such as acorn squash. A flavourful dish that is perfect for the upcoming holidays that will make your vegetarian/vegan (or any eater for that matter) friends and family very happy eaters.
Are you in need of a healthy and nourishing vegetarian main course? Look no further. This easy quinoa stuffing is flavourful and caters to vegetarian eaters, but will keep everyone happy.
I adore the combination of autumn veggies, the nuttiness of quinoa and the freshness of herbs. Make a big batch of the quinoa filling, as it is great to have for leftovers.
The stuffing can be prepared ahead of time and rewarmed before serving. So no need for last minute fussing.
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 3 tsp oil
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- ½ pkg. button mushrooms, diced
- ¼ cup fresh or dried cranberries
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- ¼ cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp cumin
- pinch red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp rosemary
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- If stuffing:
- 2 Acorn Squash
- Optional: ¼ goat or feta cheese
- If using acorn squash, cut in half, scoop out the seeds, drizzle with a bit of oil (1 tsp) and season with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on a parchment lined baking tray and roast in 400F oven for approximately 40 mins or until you can easily pierce a knife through.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions or cook as you would pasta, in boiling water for approximately 12-15 mins, then drain and set aside.
- Heat a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tsp of oil, swirling to coat. Add onion, celery, apple, and garlic, cooking for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add mushrooms along with thyme, cumin, rosemary, chili flakes, salt and pepper, cooking for another 5 minutes or until mushrooms are soft. Add cranberries and fresh herbs and remove from heat. Taste and season, if necessary.
- Divide mixture between the halves of squash, garnish with cheese if using. You may have some leftover filling.
- Return squash to oven for 10 minutes, to heat through.