With Canada Day and The 4th of July quickly approaching, so to are family barbecues, potlucks, picnics etc. With these in mind, I thought it would be fitting to share two easy salads that you can make ahead and bring with you to a gathering or to have tucked and ready to go in your fridge.
Both of these salads celebrate the goodness of summer produce, packed with lots of fresh vegetables and herbs. These salads act as a guideline only, let your local market and farmers inspire your own dish. You are guaranteed a salad success when you use local, in season produce. Cheers to farmers everywhere!
- Mixed Rice and Herb Salad
- ½ cup wild rice
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, sliced in half
- ½ bunch asparagus, cut into large pieces
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp lime zest
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Cook wild rice in a medium pot of boiling salted water until tender and grains start to split, 35–40 minutes. Drain; let cool.
- Meanwhile, combine basmati rice and 1½ cups water in a medium saucepan, season with salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Cover; let sit until water is absorbed, about 5 minutes, let cool.
- Blanch peas and asparagus briefly in boiling salted water, drain and transfer to a bowl of ice water. Drain and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel.
- Toss wild rice, basmati rice, dill, parsley, pistachios, oil, lemon and lime zest and juice, and vegetables in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper.
Chickpea and Tomato Salad with Lemon and Parmesan
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small garlic clove, pressed
1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
Coarse kosher salt
Pea shoots for garnish (optional)
Combine chickpeas, tomatoes, basil, parsley, fresh lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, and pressed garlic clove in medium bowl. Add grated Parmesan cheese and toss gently to blend all ingredients thoroughly. Season chickpea salad to taste with coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, garnish with more parmesan and pea shoots, if desired. This salad can be made one day in advance.
Do you have a go-to summer salad?
Other salads to inspire:
Avocado Slaw from Dani California Cooks
Crunchy Quinoa Power Bowl from Making Thyme for Health
Cherry Couscous and Arugula Salad from Cookie + Kate
Grilled Apricot, Corn and Arugula Salad from How Sweet Eats
Sweet Potato Salad with Avocado Aioli from Blissful Basil